   Re: Tool X (was Re: simple question on namespaces.)

  • From: Jonathan Borden <jborden@mediaone.net>
  • To: "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@simonstl.com>, xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 17:03:16 -0500

Simon St.Laurent wrote:

> Perhaps, though you left out the possibility someone mentioned here
earlier
> of multiple definitions for a single namespace - the three DTDs for XHTML
> case, for instance.

    Yeah but a doctypedecl is no better at linking a document to a DTD. No
one has been screaming bloody murder about DTDs in XML 1.0 though!

> >Documents conformant to XXX must validate against the DTD locatable by a
> >DOCTYPE definition.
> >
> >-or-
> >
> >Documents conformant to YYY must validate against an XSD locatable by the
> >document element namespace URI.
>
> DOCTYPEs and namespaces exist independently (even in contradiction) at
> present...

    The point has been raised that a namespace URI identifies a single
schema (forget content negotiation for the moment). My point is that
doctypedecls also identify a single schema, hence this problem is not new.
If this argument is used to claim 'namespaces are broken' as I've heard,
then it equally claims 'XML 1.0 is broken'. Of course nothing is perfect, so
everything is broken.

Jonathan Borden
The Open Healthcare Group
http://www.openhealth.org