   Re: Tool X (was Re: simple question on namespaces.)

  • From: "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@simonstl.com>
  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 14:25:28 -0500

At 01:58 PM 12/29/00 -0500, Jonathan Borden wrote:
>    I'm not sure that anything in this argument is unique to either
>namespaces or whether a schema is retrieved by URL. Isn't this simply a
>question: given a document how can you define its vocabulary?
>
>1) look at the DTD indicated by a doctypedef.
>2) look at an XML Schema indicated by a schemaLocation URI
>3) look at an RDF Schema indicated by a namespace URI.

Perhaps, though you left out the possibility someone mentioned here earlier
of multiple definitions for a single namespace - the three DTDs for XHTML
case, for instance.

>Documents conformant to XXX must validate against the DTD locatable by a
>DOCTYPE definition.
>
>-or-
>
>Documents conformant to YYY must validate against an XSD locatable by the
>document element namespace URI.

DOCTYPEs and namespaces exist independently (even in contradiction) at
present...

>Leaving aside the public id FPI and assuming we are talking about a system
>identifier (for the purposes of constraining this discussion) each mechanism
>provides a single system identifier by which a schema is to be located.

Again, that 'single' business is troubling...

Simon St.Laurent
XHTML: Migrating Toward XML