   Re: Begging the Question (the novel)

  • From: Paul Tchistopolskii <paul@qub.com>
  • To: "Sean B. Palmer" <sean@mysterylights.com>, xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2000 13:49:56 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: Sean B. Palmer <sean@mysterylights.com>

> > You're saying that :
> > when this request comes from 'RDF-based system',
> > server should return RDF
>
> Not at all:

I'm sorry then. I don't understand how is it related to
the semantics of Namespaces URI.

> I'm saying that if an RDF file declares a propery by using a
> namespace, and further that that RDF model contains a mixture of properties
> and classes, then the namespace of the declared properties and classes
> shuold be a dereferancable RDF Schema. If you declare properties in an RDF
> file, then the URI you are using to represent these properties should say
> something about those properties. I made no implication whatsoever that an
> RDF system should only request RDF in its HTTP requests. I meant that if it
> dereferences something that it needs, then it's going to assume that it is
> useful: i.e. an RDF Schema.

Really - I don't see what is related to the original topic of this thread.
Are you talking about some RDF-based framework ?

I'm talking about the

<some_tag xml:ns="SOMEURI">

I'm saying that XML Namespaces specification should explicitly
say something like :

'For now'  "SOMEURI" should not point to any actual
resource on the web ( maybe  it could point to the HTML file containing
documentation - but I don't like it. What is 'documentation', damn it? )

I want to make it not conformant to W3C Namespaces spec if
any tool will try using SOMEURI for fetching some document from
the web until W3C will explicitly tell *what* should be addressed
by SOMEURI.

I'm not a lawyer so my wording is not appropriate of course,
but I think that it should be clear what problem I'm trying to
solve.

By the way, why you are talking about RDF ? There is no word
RDF in the namespaces doc, there is no sign that those URIs
will point  to RDF e t.c. If you have discovered some way how to
use Namespaces with RDF - I don't understand how it is relevant.

I'm not talking about RDF. I'm talking about the semantics of
Namespace URI.

How is this related to your RDF design? Thread gets a bit fuzzy,
I think. Maybe somebody will provide a summary ? I think I'll do it
at some point of time anyway, but I'm not sure I'll do a really
good job ;-)

Rgds.Paul.