   Re: namespace joy?

  • From: "Sean B. Palmer" <sean@mysterylights.com>
  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2000 15:50:19 +0000

> finally resolve some of these namespace URI issues and
> escape the cycle of endless namespace discussion - while
> helping an enormous number of people apply namespaces
> in creative and useful ways.

I think namespaces are already being applied in creative ways, so what we
need to focus on is the usefulness. Why Tim Bray's idea is apparently so
good is because it is built on solid XML architectures (using XLink to
import whatever Schemas/namespace fodder you want), but is still human
readable (best contenders: XHTML Basic, or even a subset XHTML Family of
that). Also, normal HTML processors can be modified to import the Schemas
(MSIE5/Ns6 spring to mind).

> > in a few weeks, cook up a nice little markup vocabulary
> > containing [XHTML+XLink catalogues]

There's a deadline to end all deadlines.

> There seems to be a lot (for a holiday weekend, and especially for
> anything involving namespaces) of enthusiasm
> [Examples of enthusiasm rarely seen by so many on XML DEV]

I suppose this is the namespace equivalent of if someone suggested XML on
an SGML list.

> We've had a number of proposals [...]  I'd like to think we
> can agree on a core set of needs,

They're all basically the same. They all use XLink, and many of them use
some form of XHTML to get the message across (except your Simon, but maybe
that's what you intended). We seem to be racing towards a modified form of
XHTML Basic with XLink facilities, and a standard way of pointing at
namespaces using our own vocabulary.

> I'm not sure XML-Dev's authority will be enough to
> make this work in the world, but I'd like to think that
> we can at least point a way forward.

I dunno, there are a lot of experts on this list, a lot of software
developers, and even W3C members. If something was taken seriously on this
list, you can bet it will be taken seriously by the entire XML community,
including the W3C, and perhaps in time the rest of the world. This idea is
already kind-of forging itself, with very little intervention, only
different methods of working out the minor details. This appears to be an
XML Namespace winner.

I think the New Years Resoulution for this list should be to have got some
viable product out of this by 2002 :-)

Kindest Regards,
Sean B. Palmer
http://infomesh.net/sbp/
http://www.w3.org/WAI/ [ERT/GL/PF]
"Perhaps, but let's not get bogged down in semantics."
   - Homer J. Simpson, BABF07.