   Re: namespace joy?

  • From: Sean McGrath <sean@digitome.com>
  • To: xml-dev@xml.org
  • Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2000 15:12:38 +0000

At 09:29 AM 12/31/00 -0500, Simon St.Laurent wrote:
>I think Tim Bray [1] pointed the way forward:
> >I think that if you got a group of qualified people, mostly
> >computer programmers, together, you could cook, in a few
> >weeks, cook up a nice little markup vocabulary containing
> >[XHTML+XLink catalogues]

Early in 2001 we will be releasing a pervasive computing
application server platform and I am thinking
about what we should put on the end of the namespace
URIs for the various vocabs involved.

I am up for implementing whatever little XHTML/XLINK
thingy we can agree upon here in this product.

+1 for this group to do something on this v. important
topic.

Sean

>There seems to be a lot (for a holiday weekend, and especially for anything
>involving namespaces) of enthusiasm:
> >Nice.  A human *and* machine readable catalogue as a
> >mixture of XHTML, XLink, etc.  What are we waiting for?
>
> >I'm glad of Tim's recent clarifications.  They help me marshal my own
> >thoughts and prepare to move on, invoking a modified form of the Treaty of
> >Wulai.
>
> >Blimey, this is a good idea...
>
> >Both of these work for me.
>
> >Sounds like a good plan; and not so far what we've already seen deployed
> >for RSS and Dublin Core.
>
>To me, these comments, which come from people with a wide variety of
>viewpoints in this discussion, suggest that Tim's basically got it right.
>Rick Jelliffe has some important concerns about differing viewpoints [2]
>which I think need to be considered, but I'm think interoperability with
>those approaches is definitely possible.
>
>We've had a number of proposals ([1] [3] [4] [5]) which I think provide a
>solid starting point, despite differences in details.  I'd like to think we
>can agree on a core set of needs, basically a catalog list of resource
>locations and type identifiers in some kind of context, and reach some kind
>of useful agreement quickly.
>
>I'm not sure XML-Dev's authority will be enough to make this work in the
>world, but I'd like to think that we can at least point a way forward.  And
>maybe we can make a New Year's resolution to not be in the same discussion
>this time next year.
>

>[1] - http://lists.xml.org/archives/xml-dev/200012/msg00720.html
>[2] - http://lists.xml.org/archives/xml-dev/200012/msg00741.html
>[3] - http://lists.xml.org/archives/xml-dev/200012/msg00725.html
>[4] - http://lists.xml.org/archives/xml-dev/200012/msg00728.html
>[5] - http://lists.xml.org/archives/xml-dev/200012/msg00729.html (summary)
>Simon St.Laurent
>XML Elements of Style / XML: A Primer, 2nd Ed.
>XHTML: Migrating Toward XML
>http://www.simonstl.com - XML essays and books

Sean McGrath CTO
Propylon