   RE: XML Catalog proposal

  • From: Jonathan Borden <jborden@mediaone.net>
  • To: Dan Vint <dvint@slip.net>
  • Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2000 15:05:36 -0500

Dan Vint wrote:

> So can you summarize the differnces between the OASIS catalog format that
> is already supported with a free Java Class and what you are proposing?
>
> ..dan

sure.

1) An XML Catalog is intended to be retrieved by dereferencing an XML
namespace URI and is intended to support mapping a single namespace URI to
multiple resources (1:many). An OASIS catalog is intended to map an FPI to a
resource (1:1). An XML Catalog extends the functionality of an OASIS catalog
by supporting a "public" attribute on the link element.

2) An XML Catalog is an extension of XHTML and is hence viewable in browsers
and manipulatable by common XML software (e.g. SAX, XSLT)

3) One can certainly include an OASIS Open Catalog Format document as a
linked resource within an XML Catalog document. I will add this as an
example to the specification.

We expect to provide free software (licensed equivalently to SAX) to support
the same entity resolution mechanisms as is provided by the OASIS catalog
software.

Jonathan Borden
The Open Healthcare Group
http://www.openhealth.org