-----Original Message-----
From: Mike.Champion@SoftwareAG-USA.com [mailto:Mike.Champion@SoftwareAG-USA.com]

> From: james anderson [mailto:james.anderson@attglobal.net]
> 1. why don't attributes have a parent?

I presume the InfoSet did this to be consistent with the DOM.  It is a rather subtle
semantic (or perhaps pedantic) point, I guess, but the children
of a DOM Element are any sub-elements. Attributes are not children
of an Element ... so the element should not be the parent of the attributes.
[How could I have a parent, if I am not a child of that parent? Ponder that ...]
The DOM uses the ownerElement property to identify the element that
contains a specific attribute