Medieval Metadata (was RE: Namespace Basic Principles)

Bill dehOra writes:

 > To quote someone who knew a bit about metadata:
 >
 > "I saw that one enquiry only gave occasion to another, that book
 > referred to book, that to search was not always to find, and to
 > find was not always to be informed."
 >
 > Sam Johnson said that in 1753. We're still nowhere really.

(in western Europe, anyway) who started scribbling notes in the
margins of books so that people could look up references in other
books[*].  The Web is simply an incremental improvement on their
system.

All the best,

David

[*] Note that a book is a fully random-access scroll, a technical
prerequisite for dense linking.

           http://www.megginson.com/