help needed

I'm using the DOM API to create an XML file. I need to imbed an HTML
document within the XML document. I also need to imbed a JPEG binary file
into the XML documented.

When I use the DOM API to place content into the XML file, DOM is
translating special characters "<" and ">" into text strings, such as
"&lt;".

Do you know of a way to instruct DOM to not do this conversion when it
places content into the XML document?

Thanks much.
Jerry