Re: Place under sun (was: XPointer and Sun patent)

On Sat, 13 Jan 2001, Alexey Gokhberg wrote:

> CONCLUSION: The complete implementation of XSLT 1.0 using the platform
> other than Java is not possible without the permission from Sun
> Microsystems, Inc.

Yikes. I always thought it was incredibly stupid they didn't use printf
formatting (a format that every other language on the planet appears to
use, except Java (yes I'm exagherating, but its not much of a stretch)),
but then I didn't complain at pre-rec time so I didn't feel it was worth
talking about after the fact. However I didn't realise these extended
consequences. Very scary in the wrong hands (and I think potentially Sun's
are the wrong hands).

May we have word from the WG why printf formatting wasn't chosen? Was it
just to ease implementation for Java?

--
<Matt/>

    /||    ** Director and CTO **