ANNOUNCE: eXist - xml search engine / repository

Hello to all,

I would like to announce the first public alpha-release of eXist, a
repository and search engine for xml documents. This is an open source
project which aims at providing structured retrieval of arbitrary xml
documents. It comes with early xpath-support, enhanced by some features
for doing fulltext search. All documents in the repository may be
queried
at the same time, regardless of their DTD or schema.

xml is stored in a native form, which allows fast, index-based
retrieval.
Currently a relational database (mysql) is used as storage backend,
though
eXist basically does not depend on it.

I believe that the basic algorithm used for mapping a document's
DOM-tree
into a flat, table-based structure is quite promising. There's more
information on the project's homepage and I would welcome any comments
or
suggestions.

Since this is just a spare time project, other developers are invited to
participate and join the project.

The project is hosted at sourceforge: http://exist.sourceforge.net

Your comments and remarks are welcome!

WM