CDATA sections

Dear all,

I am thinking of using CDATA sections for snippets of perl code
that exist on the pages of my document.  However, I didn't
want me or anyone creating my documents to have to type out <![CDATA[  and ]]>
   everytime because it is tiresome and prone to errors.  I thought that giving
these sections a more meaningful and shorter name would get rid of errors, so
I created entities -- but they don't work.
Perhaps what I am trying to do just can't be done, but any ideas or pointers
would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

snippets of my xml look like this:

<page>
Here is my page and I have some

&startcode;