xpath axes

I've been doing a lot of XSLT development and I was wondering why there is
no siblings and siblings-or-self axis. The second one is somewhat pointless
but a siblings axis would make it easy to test for uniqueness (for
instance).

I suspect that the most common use would be to do more sophisticated
validation (ex there can only be one foo element with a role attribute of
bar).

Just a thought...