having dtd in a separate file (creating xml document)

Current situation:
I have an xml file that has the dtd in the same file.

I would like to separate out the dtd and include it in my xml file.
When I do this I get the following exception when calling
XmlDocument doc = XmlDocument.createXmlDocument(inputstream, false);

Processing
C:\Peakstone\XMLRepositories\verification\XMLGraphPage0.xmlorg.xml.sax.SAXPa
rseException: Relative URI "graphframework.dtd"; can not be resolved
withouta document URI.
        at com.sun.xml.parser.Parser.fatal(Parser.java:2797)
        at com.sun.xml.parser.Parser.fatal(Parser.java:2791)
        at com.sun.xml.parser.Parser.parseSystemId(Parser.java:2411)
        at com.sun.xml.parser.Parser.maybeExternalID(Parser.java:2389)
        at com.sun.xml.parser.Parser.maybeDoctypeDecl(Parser.java:1099)
        at com.sun.xml.parser.Parser.parseInternal(Parser.java:480)
        at com.sun.xml.parser.Parser.parse(Parser.java:283)
        at
com.sun.xml.tree.XmlDocument.createXmlDocument(XmlDocument.java:225)
        at
com.sun.xml.tree.XmlDocument.createXmlDocument(XmlDocument.java:184)
        at
com.peakstone.peakstoneserver.PeakstoneServerImpl.startService(PeakstoneServ
erImpl.java, Compiled Code)
        at
com.peakstone.peakstoneserver.PeakstoneServerImpl.main(PeakstoneServerImpl.j
ava:455)

Is there any way to get around this without putting the full path?

Thanks for your help,

Kate