RE: ANNOUNCE - PerXML Released

On Tue, 30 Jan 2001, Robert C. Lyons wrote:
> Perhaps I'm in the minority, but I welcome
> announcements of new software products (and
> new freeware) that are related to XML
> development.

There is a big difference between announcing
the availability of open source software which
I can learn from, and announcing the release
of a new/improved closed source program which
I cannot freely use, adapt, and modify.

If every XML related commercial product were
announced here, the noise ratio would be
extremely high... and to let one commercial
vendor announce without chastisement is
just plain unfair.

Further, when ever open source products
are announced here they are usually announced
by regular participants -- on average commercial
announcemnts are made by individuals who have
shared very little with the serious content
expressed on this list.

Lastly, there is a captive audience of serious
professionals here. A post costs us all a good
deal of time ($$).  I'm here beacuse I expect to
receive e-mail from my peers.  Commercial vendors
are not paying for me to see their advertisements.
Are they?  Why should they be privleged with
advertising rights upon a medium which they have
not built.

I hope this helps explain how I and I think
many other people on this list feel.

Best,

Clark