Re: XML versus Relational Database

Dylan Walsh wrote:

> [...]

I believe this was referring to searching across a collection of
documents rather then within a single document. If you do not need to
search across multiple documents then a persistent DOM will work well
for storing a pre-parsed representation of the document.  For handling
multiple documents and querying across them you need to move into an XML
database. By XML database I'm referring to all types as listed here
http://www.xmldb.org/faqs.html

Storing XML in a file or in a text blob in a RDBMS works fine as long as
you always treat the XML as one atomic unit and can handle the hit of
parsing the document each time it is retrieved from storage. If your XML
is static this works fine but if the application is changing the XML
then a more robust mechanism might be in order.

--
Kimbro Staken
Chief Technology Officer