RE: XML versus Relational Database

Might their not be a greater hit in assembling all the DOM nodes, coming
back in pieces, compared to reading the whole XML document in one database
operation and parsing it in your application? There has got to be an
overhead in reading/writing possibly thousands of items of data, using many
queries, instead of a single read/write of a text blob.

Last summer I asked a question about how best to store XML in an RDBMS. One
response likened the decomposition approach to taking your car apart every
night when you park it, and rebuilding it in the morning.