Microsoft's XMLReader

I need to have a Java implementation of a Microsoft XMLReader style API for
parsing XML.

I'm aware of the SAX Navigator
(http://www.geocities.com/takuki_kamiya/pub/saxnavi.html), but this
implementation uses a new thread to queue the SAX events, and I can't afford
to have a new thread to parse the XML file (this will run in a heavy loaded
server).

Does anyone know of something like this?

Can this be built using any propietary parser API (org.apache.xerces.*,
org.apache.crimson.*, etc)? As far as I know, all this implementations are
built on top of SAX, and the only way I imagine to implement this using SAX
is the 'new thread' one...

Thanks, regards.