Re: Request for info about parser construction details.

On Wed, 7 Feb 2001, Jose Luis Sierra Rodriguez wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I would like to find some information about technical details regarding the
> developing of parsers for SGML and XML. Of course that the obvious
> solution is to examine the sources of some existing parsers ;), but I would
> like to avoid myself this effort by reading some higher-level documentation.
> In particular, I'm looking for the sort of things that you can find in a general
> textbook about compiler construction (for instance, that of Aho, Sethi and Ullman)
> but applied to the particular features of SGML/XML. Any pointer on this subject
> will be wellcome.

The grammars are in the specifications themselves, in XML 1.0 they are
spread throughout the document, but you can easily cut/paste a complete
grammar together. You should be able to convert these to whatever breed of
grammar parser you intend to use. I believe there are tools out there that
can even extract the full grammar for XML 1.0 out of the XML spec (the XML
version of the spec that is), but you can probably find a complete
extracted grammar online somewhere too. I don't know if the same is true
of SGML, but most likely.

--
<Matt/>

    /||    ** Director and CTO **