RE: Why Model Concepts? (Was RE: Object Role Modelling (ORM) or U ML or ??for designing Schemas)

Something more generic than syntax?  Well, I guess we could
offer up the SGML Declaration once again to the masses.
Nah, then the XML inventors would have to be hanged too.
RDF made the semantic web AI unless we want to use AI like
Republicans in the States use the term "liberal", a demonization
for conning the unwashed into electing them.  Let's not.

Tell me how to get rid of the communicative a priori, the bootstrap,
then, I can agree with the rest of what you are saying.

We can route information without knowing it's meaning.  That
is easy.  We just can't use it safely.  My guess is, practicality is
in the direction of common means for choosing meanings.  Generic
tools are common means.  Choose a notation and you
chose a model too (IDEF(relational) vs UML(objects)).   Should
we include groves here too? *Hiding* information under a
stack of abstract names is still just a means.  We can agree
on UML just like a good sized chunk of the CSHeads once
agreed on IDEF, others on Express.  But until we agree,
all bets are off above syntax parsing (and for that, we
had to agree on an SGML Declaration).

So once again, why do we need conceptual models (we
don't always need them but when we do....)?  To me,
this is an abstract layer, so I agree with you, Rick,
but I really don't think the semantic web does much
until some model for this gets buy-in.  AI is irrelevant
except insofar as we can identify and learn from the
experience of the systems builders who used that name
to label their products.

Len
http://www.mp3.com/LenBullard

Ekam sat.h, Vipraah bahudhaa vadanti.