Getting The Pizza (Was Processing 'my' XML (was Re: Why Model Concepts?))

-----Original Message-----
From: Simon St.Laurent [mailto:simonstl@simonstl.com]

>>To be able to route information without knowing its meaning;

>I really like this.  I've been poking at some very simple SAX
>implementations of XML routing, and hoping that we're moving past a
>conception of XML as point-to-point communications.  I'd like to think the
>future is XML routing, where messages move from machine to machine much as
>messages currently move between people.

Stamps don't know they are on letters.   The web is already mail-capable.
So we don't need a semantic web?

>I'd like to suggest that the Semantic Web might evolve out of people slowly

>teaching their machines how they handle information.  My vision of
>'pragmatic and incremental development' would be widely distributed,
>avoiding the need to 'raise the bar for generic manipulation' across the
>entire installed base by allowing users to pick (and to some extent design)

>their preferred tools.

Sure and you put your finger on it:  "teaching machines how they
handle information."  Ok, so we get rid of the semantically
aware agents (actually, no; a golem is a useful thing if
well-trained).   But say we don't care about the
agents and just want to route.  XLang is a routing language.  (GUIDs, URIs,
(pick one)) identify applications whose types and descriptions
are registered.  The registry is the first level of the bootstrap
implementation.  Once chosen (by agent or human (pick one)), the
XLang schedule can be applied through discoverable interfaces.
Through the layers of description (human text, RDF, topic maps (pick many))
a interface is selected and the schedule is enacted.  The web isn't
semantic per se: it is well-annotated.

If it sends me back a Moon Pie and an RC Cola, I turn off the
web and head out to (Pizza Hut, Domino's)(pick One)).  So, I
can do .net or the Sun web services and never need a golem.

Why do we need to model concepts?

Len
http://www.mp3.com/LenBullard

Ekam sat.h, Vipraah bahudhaa vadanti.