intertwined specs

After writing about the new XSLT and XPath requirements documents, plus the
latest in query, I'm getting kind of concerned by how deeply intertwined
all of these specs seem to be getting, and how intertwined with Schemas
they're becoming.

XSLT 2.0 processors will need an understanding of XML Schema datatypes,
while XPath 2.0 processors will need to implement the regular expression
language specified in XML Schemas.  XQuery builds on all of these, using
the strategy pioneered by Quilt.  The current draft of XML Schemas requires
schema processors to understand XPath as well.

Once, long ago, I wanted the W3C to make sure its specs coordinated and
made some kind of coherent sense.  That never really happened, but now we
seem to moving toward a jungle of intertwined specs, with complexity
increasing despite/because of reuse.

Anyone else find this unnerving?
Simon St.Laurent - Associate Editor, O'Reilly and Associates
XHTML: Migrating Toward XML