Re: intertwined specs

At 12:23 PM 16/02/01 -0500, Simon St.Laurent wrote:
>After writing about the new XSLT and XPath requirements documents, plus the
>latest in query, I'm getting kind of concerned by how deeply intertwined
>all of these specs seem to be getting, and how intertwined with Schemas
>they're becoming.

One man's "intertwined" is another's "consistent".  I think a lack
of interconnectedness would be a bigger problem.

The real problem, the one that I think is actually causing Simon's
pain, is that these things are all too big, too complicated, and have
a contemptuous disdain for trying to hit 80/20 points.  Missing the
point of the Web, I call this.  Mind you, having been through the
closing months of getting XML 1.0 finished when it was already too
big and every power player and their dog wanted to get just one
more feature in, I can see how it happens.  Doesn't mean it's right.
  -Tim