RE: intertwined specs

I agree that it consumes a lot of time to read and
understand the specs.  I presume the implementors
are similarly concerned.   I don't take this, however,
as an indication that the specifications overall
are too complex. I take it as an indication that
the tasks being attempted with XML are as varied
as the original specification warranted they would be.

Hard problems; heavy solutions.  I only got mad
when the XML spec was tossed to the floor asserting
it would be easy after that.  Anyone with experience
knew it would only get harder and more complex.  Easier
than SGML/HyTime?  Maybe, but you'll have to ask
the implementors of those systems about that.  All
I know is a lot of what I see here looks a lot like
what I saw there.  The names were changed, the concepts
"reified" but overall, the same stuff.  The big differences
are well-formedness and namespaces.  Those really are
simplifications of the original concepts.  As James
pointed out recently, SGML conflated parsing and validation.
Separating those has been enormously useful.

But easy? That IS how XML was sold, I agree.  Caveat emptor.

Len
http://www.mp3.com/LenBullard

Ekam sat.h, Vipraah bahudhaa vadanti.
Daamyata. Datta. Dayadhvam.h