XML and Queries (not XQL)

Are there examples of using XML as a substitute for an SQL query? I mean
examples of using a DTD to define a valid search given as XML as the search
criteria in a database? Is it a good idea to make an abstraction of a valid
database entity in a DTD and make an abstraction of a valid search criteria
in a DTD? I have searched for such examples and I couldn't find any. Maybe
the lack of such examples is telling me that it is not a way to go. XQL is
not what we need.

Christian