RE: XQuery -- Reinventing the Wheel?

Scripted languages using the pointy bracket
syntax have been implemented several times.  It
works fine (US Navy MID), but it is unwieldy
and tends to shock the monkey (the Desperate
C Programmer).

I don't believe the languages cited are on a collision course
unless folks get out there and actively push
them toward each other.  That might be a good
thing, but I have to agree with Jonathan:  I
can see valid reasons for XQuery.  As in the
example above, getting the relational programmers
to go with pure XSLT and XPath isn't easy.
Anything that takes the awkward, syntax-crazy
ASP page sytagm and gives it a smoother
appearance will be useful (we go mad just
balancing the quotation marks as we build
up the SQL strings).  If the effort
does create a convergence in the infoset
abstractions, that helps certainly.

There is signficant overlap.  What may be
at issue is the "significance" and that
is likely to vary between those who
must code in the language and those who
must implement the code of the language.

Len
http://www.mp3.com/LenBullard

Ekam sat.h, Vipraah bahudhaa vadanti.
Daamyata. Datta. Dayadhvam.h