RE: XQuery -- Reinventing the Wheel?

Jonathan Robie wrote:
> Nobody is throwing XSLT out. XSLT will live a long and
> happy life. So will XQuery. They were designed for
> different purposes.
> Remember a few years ago when people were saying that
> the functionality of XSLT had too much overlap with
> the functionality of the DOM? Some were even calling
> for the W3C to stop work on XSLT. That would have been
> a stupid mistake, just as stupid as calling for XQuery
> to stop because it has overlap with XSLT.

I'm sorry, but this is not about mere "overlap with functionality". The
DOM is an object-oriented API for imperative programming languages. XSLT
and XQuery are both declarative, functional programming languages that
share the same basic data model, and remarkably similar processing models
and semantics. Your comparison with the DOM is either an attempt at a
cheap shot or a reflection of your lack of understanding of how close XSLT
and XQuery really are.

Evan Lenz
XYZFind Corp.