CodeML?

is there a specification anywhere for creating an xml based
programming language? the idea that i have in my head is that a
language would be specified in a schema describing a BNF like
structure and that potentially an XSLT could translate a "program"
(aka instance document) written in that language to an actual
implementation language such as perl, java, c++, etc.

i know that i can do this but i'd like to see if there are ant
existing works that i can build off of.

or, we could go even farther and write an xml based byte-code that
our xml language(s) (or any other language for that matter) can be
compiled into. i don't _really_ want to do that but it could be a
fun thought exercise :)

rjsjr