Re: Optimization and XPath (was RE: Why not reinvent the wheel?)

That's about how I understood it.  I also was under the impression that
folks are working out the rules for downward-only form of XPath for just
these reasons.  If a template/query contains up-and-over XPath expressions,
then a performance cost will be paid.

My point was that XQuery has no advantage in optimizability.  Implementors
of either language will have to be aware of the same issues.  Thus the need
for XQuery/XSLT coordination on XPath you describe, Jonathan.

Joe, I'm curious, what makes XQuery look more optimizable to you?  In
another message you mention the random access requirements of the template,
which is what we're talking about here.  It strikes me that XSLT and XQuery
implementations, alike, will have to analyze contained XPath and detect
up-and-over expressions.

take it easy,
Charles Reitzel