RE: The relentless march of abstraction (fwd)

As if HTML were the only rendering language
and web browsers were the only clients....

Assertion:  Client-side XML depends on the
services of a robust XML processor to do
heavy lifting chores.   Server side does too.
The problem is designing messages that
work well for multiple configurations of
common processes.

1.  How many chores does it do before
it becomes one mother-fat library object
itself in bad need of modularization?

2.  Do the inconsistent data models
of the various chore handlers make
the noisiness of the result unendurable?

Bits on the wire WON'T do it.  That way
lies endless consulting costs and increasing
coupling to vendor-specific idiosyncracies.  We see
it every day here where different parsers
and different handlers are making a nightmare
of network messaging apps such that we have
to tell our partners *XML.DLL version zed*
or nothing, or we have to build all the
components and frankly, why bother with
XML if we have to do that.

This is real world stuff from real programmers
doing real work and all very hosed that XML
technology is not living up to the promise
of blind interoperability based on the spec.

So, kindly get down to that and ignore the
relentless FUD.  The march is relentless because
it is trying to go somewhere.  We'd like to
know a little bit more about the destination.
IOW, how many sets of PSVI properties have
to be handled and how soon will that be
defined much less implemented?

Y'all shot the grove guys down and claimed
you knew more and could do a better job.
Our feet are waiting to vote.

Len
http://www.mp3.com/LenBullard

Ekam sat.h, Vipraah bahudhaa vadanti.