RE: The relentless march of abstraction

From: Tim Bray [mailto:tbray@textuality.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 27, 2001 9:46 AM
>Having said all that, I agree that the infoset is a tool for
>people building the XML family spec infrastructure, not for
>ordinary programmers doing real work.  -Tim

I am an ordinary programmer doing ordinary work and I am about to use the
infoset in my testing software. To preserve a namespace prefix the XML doc
is converted to an XML Information Set doc.  Then I can use Cannonical XML
and do a bytewise comparison.  (Thanks go to Kirill Gavrylyuk from Microsoft
for explaining this idea to me.  It will also be used by the OASIS
XSLT/XPath Conformance Committee in the ouput of expected results.)
Infoset is not a tool. Information set is one of the forms for describing an
XML document. It can be extremely usefull in representation of a complex xml
document via reduced set of xml contructions - perfect for conformance
testing/comparison criterias. Original idea of using Infoset in testing
belongs to folks from XML Schema WG.
Lynda

Lynda Van Vleet
Software Design Engineer