Re: SAX-ext Attribute + Entity Parsing

Len's right, of course. 4.4.3 of the XML-Rec forces the parser to
include the replacement text.
Interestingly tho' (to me anyway) is that it allows the parser to *not*
replace the text if the Entity is External and the parser's not
validating. The reason given is :
"This rule is based on the recognition that the automatic inclusion
provided by the SGML and XML entity mechanism, primarily designed to
support modularity in authoring, is not necessarily appropriate for
other applications, in particular document browsing."

I think my problem is that I'm trying to do something that wasn't
catered for - process the meta-info at its lowest level ... and I'd like
to be able to store and restore (and edit) the internal entities. Shame
this exclusion clause doesn't apply ... obviously my sort of tool wasn't
envisaged ;-)

My apologies for implying that SAX was at 'fault' ... although I still
think a property would be a good solution to my problem without
impacting current applications in any way. I take the point about the
'other end of the wire' - but I am the other end of the wire in this
case ... I'd be happy to have an extra callback 'unparsedElementDecl'
which could be could be inserted as a separate handler via the property

I don't hold out much hope for a change to the XML REC (!=Spec) or any
parsers, so I'll just have to do a 'special' - and move away from my
goal of standards compliance ...

Thanks

tim

<snip>