RE: Why 90 percent of XML standards will fail

Title:
Actually, we have talked about those subjects on this list.  If
he is claiming the so-called XML vocabularies are standards, he
is probably right about the failure rate per se.   It has been restated
here before that the big committee-driven efforts like 28001
traditionally had limited success and that the keiretsu nature
of the business supply chains would make similar efforts
dicey.  Their big success will be where they are built by
the industry itself, or are mined for good design.  In both
cases, they don't fail, precisely.  They get reused.  That
is precisely why XML was applied.    I'm surprised, Mike,
that as long as you have done this, the article was needed
to make you consider it.   We have a lot of markup experience
and we know with some certainty that the commitment
to the vocabulary and its definitions is all that makes
it valuable.  Success varies by how you measure it.
Pirating DTD and schema elements is not only the usual
thing, it is often, the best thing.  No size fits all comfortably.

Academic or not, he needs to make it clear that failures
are not the same as 'reuse'.  His numbers go down if
he makes that point.    His article doesn't make me
uncomfortable because it is clear he doesn't understand
the industry he purports to consult for or is being
disingenuous, and therefore, just another bear.
FUD is not a way to make people think;  it is a
way to make them react in fear, therefore, become
enamored of guidance.

As to the business model, a protocol for interface
and a protocol for performance are not the same
thing.  Interfaces are discoverable;  performances
are scriptable.   We may find that B2B standard
performances emerge, and these we can safely mark
as genre:  expected transitions that reward by
meeting expectations or coping with surprise.

We accept the challenge to "make the strange
familiar and to make the familiar strange".

Len
http://www.mp3.com/LenBullard

Ekam sat.h, Vipraah bahudhaa vadanti.
Daamyata. Datta. Dayadhvam.h