RE: [xsl] ANNOUNCE: Petition to withdraw xsl:script from XSLT 1.1

If I read this correctly, the problem is not
the script element but the perceived requirement
that Java (a Sun product) and JavaScript (a
Netscape/AOL product) are required to be supported,
thus engendering a product bias into a language
neutral specification?

Same problem with X3D.  The retort is
that "We don't insist that an implementor
support Java.  We insist that if they support
Java, they use this binding."  The further
explanation has been unofficially that failing
to support Java has seriously hurt the acceptance
of VRML.  In VRML, the required support was
for EcmaScript and VrmlScript.  Neither satisfied
the developers who wanted object-oriented language
extensibility.

Is this case different?

If the W3C is biasing XSLT to Sun implementations
and products, I can sign as an individual.  If the
language is such that it can be weaseled as has
been done in other cases, it is a moot point because
it is vendor's choice regardless of perception.

Len
http://www.mp3.com/LenBullard

Ekam sat.h, Vipraah bahudhaa vadanti.
Daamyata. Datta. Dayadhvam.h