Re: [xsl] ANNOUNCE: Petition to withdraw xsl:script from XSLT 1.1

On Thu, 1 Mar 2001, Steve Muench wrote:
> Clark, this is a slight misrepresentation of what the XSLT 1.1 WD says.
> The <xsl:script> *permits* both embedding or use-by-reference.

Ok.  However, the use-by-reference is still language specific
which, IMHO, breaks portability.  From the appendix:

  <xsl:stylesheet
    xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform" version="1.0"
    xmlns:date="uri.any">
    <xsl:script implements-prefix="date" language="java"
      src="java:com.example.datestuff.DateRoutines"/>
    <xsl:template match="/">
      <OrderDate>
        <xsl:value-of select="date:format(/order/date,'MM/DD/YY')"/>
      </OrderDate>
    </xsl:template>
  </xsl:stylesheet>

It is very clear to me that the above stylesheet will work
if and *only* if the the XSLT processor has built-in java
capabilities.  So, although you may be right about not
"embedding Java", this is close enough to the same concern,
it is an "embedded Java package name".

I'd like to see instead a module based extension facility
that is not language dependent.

> The contracts that the XSLT engine has with the extension
> function implementation is completely the responsibility
> of each language binding. The language bindings are
> relegated to appendices.

Doesn't sound like this would encourage portability
among processors written in different languages.

Clark