RE: is that a fork in the road?

SQL required years and iterations.  UNIX took thousands
upon thousands of manhours of work and even then,
spawned multiple incompatible versions and never
became a usuable technology outside its own priesthood.
C's inventor required extensible typing
and inheritance of method and code, so C++, now
C# because Java hasn't quite lived up to the
promise of write once run anywhere.

This isn't matter of not trying to solve the entire problem
but of understanding the entire problem and
working toward a complete solution.  That's the
real lesson of history;  iteration and rework.

XML is one step beyond comma-delimited
character strings.  That's 20.  Whoopee.
The 80 is Beyond XML.  Back to the wars.

Len
http://www.mp3.com/LenBullard

Ekam sat.h, Vipraah bahudhaa vadanti.
Daamyata. Datta. Dayadhvam.h