Re: We need an XPath API

Well, as it relates to an XPath API, I think there is clearly a need to
support both DOM-based and SAX-based processing.

Once the DOM is loaded, it is convoluted to deal with complex layere of
filters.  Better to mangle the DOM and pass it on down the chain.  The
scalability advantages of the layered SAX-filter approach would be lost and
not worth the pain of you're just starting out from a DOM anyway.