Personal reply to Edd Dumbill's XML Hack Article wrt W3C XML Schema

Not surprisingly, as lead editor of XML Schema Part 1: Structures, I'm
not in agreement with either the overall thrust of this article or its
details.

XML Schema is later than anyone would like, but the delays have
largely been due to pressure for increased functionality.  With all
respect to the advocates of various light-weight reduced-aspiration
alternatives, XML Schema is the _only_ design which covers the range
of functionality required by the diverse communities eager for an
XML-based alternative to DTDs.

What has pleasantly surprised _me_ over the last few months is how
many people in the XML community are using XML Schema and evidently
getting value from it and finding it straightforward.  The
availability of tools which support XML Schema is very encouraging,
given that it hasn't even received final approval from the W3C.  For
every high-profile individual asserting that XML Schema doesn't
satisfy his or her idea of the perfect language, I've had dozens of
e-mails testifying to successful use on real projects.

It is undoubtedly true, as in the case of _any_ large project of this
nature, that starting over now on the basis of our experience to date
would produce a better product.  It's also true, in my opinion and
that of many in the community, that XML Schema as it stands will be an
incredibly valuable move forward: not perfect, but the right first
step.  I'm looking forward to seeing it deployed, to using it, and to
working to integrate all we've learned from the experience and from
external input as we move on to start work on the next version.

ht (not speaking for anyone but himself)