RE: Personal reply to Edd Dumbill's XML Hack Article wrt W3C XML Schema

And Len (live but incompletely formed) and
Lewis (still dead but completely well-formed)
probably agree.

The difficulty is knowing when a Value among a set of
values is to be a floating point value without doing a
lot of rules or other kinds of processing to work that
out *For Every Instance of the The Same Kind of Document*.
Nodes are local but they receive lots of different values
and it is a good thing to know when one arrives just how
to cast it.  It is also nice to do that sooner rather than
later in some cases.

The Schema appears to be an easy way to do that.  The nice
thing about the name having meaning is that the egg has
to be handled delicately or the maintenance costs of
Kings' Men and Horses goes up.  A priori agreements citable
by some public citation are rather good for that.  Leaving it to
"programmer's discretion" in all cases is usually a really
bad idea.  Simple looks good until you have to put the
egg back together again and the only instructions you
have are the crease angles in the breakage.

The issue is whether or not PSVI is required in every
case.  Certainly Humpty Dumpty is allowed to be the
Master of his own fall but not his reconstruction.
Otherwise, all the king's horse and all the king's
men might fail and the king can't afford that.

Record of authority governance of the transaction
ensures the cost is commensurate with the means.

Len
http://www.mp3.com/LenBullard

Ekam sat.h, Vipraah bahudhaa vadanti.
Daamyata. Datta. Dayadhvam.h