why XML? (was Re: Personal reply)

I guess the question's moved all the way back to first principles. Good
sign?  Bad sign?  Who knows.

At 09:17 PM 3/12/01 -0500, Thomas B. Passin wrote:
>1) Why use markup at all?

Because clean labeled structures written using textual notation are
relatively easy to create, process, and exchange.

>2) Does xml-schemas move us farther along the path started by HTTP and
>HTML, or not?  Why? And is that a GOOD THING?

To me, it feels like W3C XML Schemas are in a completely different spirit
than HTTP and HTML.  Rather than stripping away functionality and
requirements to produce something useful in open environments (as HTML/HTTP
did to closed-system hypertext), XML Schemas feels like a piling on of
functionality that can only really be useful and reliable in tightly
controlled environments.

I'd suggest that XML Schemas is deeply different from the Web architecture
which hosts it.  XML Schemas feels like a tool which is very useful in
certain (tightly controlled) contexts, and an impediment to projects in
other (more open) contexts.  That might explain some of why it isn't
universally loved.

(Yes, I'm aware that I'm over-simplifying and that it is indeed _possible_
to use XML Schema in open environments.  I just don't think XML Schema and
the Web are a particularly good fit, especially as XML Schema becomes
entangled into other XML specs.)

Simon St.Laurent - Associate Editor, O'Reilly and Associates
XHTML: Migrating Toward XML