RE: Who knows? (was RE:??? (was RE: A Simple Guy ...))

The trick for that Captain was not to go
too fast too north at that time of the
year.  Even then, it might have worked
if the two kids in the clinch on the deck
hadn't distracted the lookouts in the
crow's nest:  hmm, or was that last bit history
distorted in the retelling?

This ain't Academia vs RealMen or
Lawyers vs RealMen, or us vs them
or anything else.  It is knowing
how to spec based on a requirement
that makes more sense than the kind
I see these days from some working groups.
It is picking a technology based on
the current conditions of the technical
environment: the affordable solution.  The ability
to do that exists if you can get through the
politics and find a customer with money.

Survivors of the Titanic got right
back on the next ship.  One maid/nurse
even served on the two sister
ships that sank and she lived to a ripe old
age.  Knowing how to swim is really
useful.   So were the new standards for
lifeboats and passenger capacity.

The northwest passage was successfully
navigated by the USS Nautilus in the
1950s.  A route is found by picking
the right technology when it becomes
available.  The problem stayed the same.

The XML technologies of
the early 90s were fought by the supporters
of CGM, FOSI, PostScript, scrollers,
and so on.  When the market was right
and the need was obvious to enough
people, it succeeded.  It wasn't simplicity,
it wasn't that "dozen people", the
W3C, the shining moment of clarity,
or the other revisions of history.
It was cheap memory, cheap processors,