RE: ???(Offtopic) (was RE: A simple guy with a simple problem)

Problem became, they weren't the only ones
who could choose.  Take a look at how
much money just went down the tubes on
the reusuable shuttle program.

How it gets almost done faster, simpler, cheaper:

1.  They had a design.  They got to work.
2.  Reagan changed his mind or forgot what
    he said.  Congress issues new orders.
3.  They respond with a new design.  They
4.  Reagan wants to help Gorbachav.  He
    orders NASA to work with the Soviets.
    Good political move; very complicated
    management problem.  Good engineers
    on both sides having to learn to speak
    the same language and get over decades
    of mistrust.  Repeat Step 3.
5.  Reagan goes away.  Bush steps in.
    Bush has new economic plans and there is a
    short war which sucks up the budget.  Repeat step 3.
6.  Bush goes away.  Clinton comes
    in.  Clinton doesn't care.  Things stabilize.
7.  The thing gets to orbit.  It
    is underpowered, smaller than planned, has
    very noisy fans.  Is close to obsolete
    the day it is opened.  The design changes
    make a lot of the proposed applications
    impossible.  It is simpler but also
    of limited utility.
8   Repeat Step 3.

An interesting comment from my son's godfather
about Skylab: "We orbited it and after three
crews realized we were quickly running out
of interesting things to do there."

And the Mir is heading to the Pacific.  All
good friends in OZ and NZLand:  DUCK!

Len
http://www.mp3.com/LenBullard

Ekam sat.h, Vipraah bahudhaa vadanti.