RE: Gag me with a blunt …

On Mon, 19 Mar 2001, Susan Malaika wrote:

> > Well, zenkaku(ideographic) space is kind of the same. I have
> > fought with it in the past and lost face, if nothing else ;-)
>
> Without any change to XML parsers, that leaves zenkaku and OS390 users with
> one
> option as far as I can see:
>       To cleanup zenkaku spaces and OS390 [NEL]s before handing XML
> documents
>        to parsers

Actually there's another option, cleanup these characters *while* handing
to the parser. Example in Perl's XML::Parser case:

$parser->parsefile("nel2lf file.xml |");

Requires no in-place modification of the file, it's all just unix pipes.
I'm not sure how well Java handles this (I'd expect not at all), but then
if you have to use Java you pay that price :-)

--
<Matt/>

     \\//
     //\\