Re: URI resolver was Re: RDDL and XML Schemas Proposed Recommendation

At 06:57 PM 3/25/01 -0500, Michael Mealling wrote:
>The web and the Internet are about interoperability
>and the only way that happens is if we all agree on some basic
>assumptions about how things work and stick to them.

I hate to sound stupid, but could you explain exactly what those 'basic
assumptions' are supposed to be with regard to URIs?

I have a really hard time with how the 'U' (uniform, which doesn't appear
to be true) or the 'R' (resource, seemingly optional) have anything to do
with the 'I'.

Yes, I know we've been over this, and I've read RFC2396 and related specs
for the past three years, but I still don't see much in the way of basic
assumptions.  _Please_ assume I'm stupid for the sake of the list, and give
us a foundation in clearer terms than the RFCs have provided.  I don't mind
using URLs, nor do I mind using identifiers, but I have a damn hard time
with really 'getting' URIs beyond the surface level.

Simon St.Laurent - Associate Editor, O'Reilly and Associates
XHTML: Migrating Toward XML