experts

I'm pondering the term 'invited expert' and what it really means.

Do we really want a Web designed by experts?

Think about this for a while.

Most programmers aren't really experts.  Most systems architects aren't
really experts.  They're qualified (we hope) to do their jobs, but they
won't necessarily do them in the most elegant or efficient way, and only
spend time on optimization when it's clear there is a return on the
investment.  Most programs are ho-hum efficient - enough to keep users and
customers from complaining.

When experts design systems, they know that they can go the extra mile for
optimization, take advantage of the options provided, and reuse
technologies in ways that go beyond the expectations of their
creators.  That's what these folks do, all the time.

I'd like to think that experts would design systems built for ordinary
developers - technologies that are already optimized, which provide elegant
answers to complex problems without requiring developers to think too hard
on the possibilities.

Instead, I'd argue that most of what we've seen in markup - with two
exceptions, one more glaring than the next - is design by experts for
experts.  Options and features are important, so there are lots of
them.  Experts can figure them out, so everyone else must be able to as
well.  Only experts can really understand their interior details, so only
experts should contribute.

The two glaring exceptions are XML and HTML.  XML was a deliberate
stripping away of features beloved by power users and experts, though I'd
suggest it didn't go nearly far enough.  HTML, of course, was designed by
an amateur.

[Some experts, working in smaller groups, can break out with cleaner and
simpler systems -I'd suggest that RELAX and TREX went this way.  It is
possible, just not especially likely when experts are typically gathered
into committees.]

Maybe it's time for experts to let users figure out what they need.

Simon St.Laurent - Associate Editor, O'Reilly and Associates
XHTML: Migrating Toward XML