Re: experts

"Simon St.Laurent" wrote:

> I'm pondering the term 'invited expert' and what it really means.
>
> Do we really want a Web designed by experts?

This is getting silly - if you check dictionary.com it defines an expert as "a
person with a high degree of skill in or knowledge of a certain subject". I'm
at a loss as to who could possibly be more appropriate. You don't want rich,
self-interested parties and now you don't want people with actual topic
understanding either - who do you want to do the work? Experts are typically
experts because they work in the field.

I swore I wouldn't get sucked into this thread, but now that I am, I might also
point out that if an employee does qualify as an invited expert, many companies
will support them in standards work, both financially and by donating time. An
invited expert need not necessarily jump trains or stow away on ships, unless
that happens to be their preferred mode of transport.

--
Regards,

Marcus Carr                      email:  mrc@allette.com.au
       - Einstein