Re: experts

At 06:35 PM 3/28/01 +0800, Rick Jelliffe wrote:
>From: Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>
> >Check out 3023, which I consider very significant (XML Mime types) and
> >was painfully arrived at.  One of the authors is a Venture Capitalist,
> >no shit.  One of them is Murata.  One of them is our own Simon
> >"Curmudgeon" StL.
> >
> >Establish a pattern from *that*, if you can. -Tim
>
>3023 supercedes 2376 by Murata (a researcher) and Whitehead (a researcher
>http://www.ics.uci.edu/~ejw/).
>
>The pattern would be: researchers innovate; if the innovation has legs,
>industry (Kohn) and community (St.Laurent) sign on.*
>
>Not to say that industry and community don't also innovate.

I think Rick summed up what happened quite nicely, if you care to go back
to the ietf-xml-mime archives. (http://www.imc.org/ietf-xml-mime/)  I can't
say I cared much for a lot of the MIME experts' arguments, and really
wanted to get something done for XML.  It wasn't always pleasant, but it
worked.

(And Tim and Rick contributed to that process as well.)

Simon St.Laurent - Associate Editor, O'Reilly and Associates
XHTML: Migrating Toward XML