Re: XML Schema 1.1

At 12:12 PM 04/04/01 -0400, Simon St.Laurent wrote:
>There seems to be a lot of discussion here regarding the future of XML
>Schema with a 1.1 version in mind.
>
>Are there any official public documents regarding what 1.1 would look like,
>and any constraints that would apply to 1.1 regarding backward compatibility?

In the closing days of getting XML 1.0 out the door, a lot of
*reasonable* requests for enhancements were, in good software
engineering style, kiboshed as being "for 1.1".  Once 1.0 got
out the door, everyone developed a strong case of (healthy IMHO)
paranoia about screwing with the thing, and personally I'd be
astounded to see anyone take on XML 1.1 in my lifetime; the
cost is very high and the need doesn't seem that great.  So it's
legit to suspect that to push things into 1.1 is to kill them.
Particularly when you look how long & hard those poor folk on the
Schema WG have been at it.  On the other hand, Schema is probably
a little bit less dangerous to change that XML would have been.

 -Tim