Re: Images embedded in XML

Wayne Steele wrote:

> What's XDR?
>
> Do you "External Data Representation", or "XML-Data Reduced" ?
>
> If the former - I don't know much about it, but this page (
> http://ntrg.cs.tcd.ie/4ba2/presentation/xdrandber.html ) claims it's an
> implementation of ASN.1.

As far as a comparison between XDR and BER goes, this is not the list to
discuss it but people can find a "counter-comparison"(!) in my book that
they can *freely* download (sorry to insist but it seems that freeness
seems to be an argument) from: http://www.oss.com/asn1/dubuisson.html

> As an ISO standard, the ASN.1 stuff is easily available to people with
> money.

I'm sorry to tell you that this recurrent argument is wrong!
ASN.1 is a joint standard between ISO and ITU-T. And everybody has the
opportunity to freely download 3 ITU-T Recommendations from the ITU-T website.
Check "I wish to REGISTER in order to download up to three (3) Recommendations
free of charge" at: http://ecs.itu.ch/cgi-bin/ebookshop
and then download the X.680 and X.690 series.

> It seems like there's enough free stuff to "read between the lines" on it,

True (there are even books on ASN.1 who are freely available, as well as
the ASN.1 standards, as I already mentioned).
But be careful and don't trust any URL on the web!

> but it takes some dedication.
>
> Here's a handful of relevant links I dug up:
>
> http://xml.coverpages.org/xer.html
> http://dsv.su.se/jpalme/abook/comparison.pdf
> http://www-sop.inria.fr/rodeo/personnel/hoschka/asn1.html

Hoschka's page has not been updated for a lot of time AFAIK.

You've missed: http://asn1.elibel.tm.fr/ ;-)
--
Olivier DUBUISSON (ITU-T ASN.1 Rapporteur)
france telecom R&D