RE: Images embedded in XML

What's XDR?

Do you "External Data Representation", or "XML-Data Reduced" ?

If the former - I don't know much about it, but this page (
http://ntrg.cs.tcd.ie/4ba2/presentation/xdrandber.html ) claims it's an
implementation of ASN.1.

As an ISO standard, the ASN.1 stuff is easily available to people with
money.

It seems like there's enough free stuff to "read between the lines" on it,
but it takes some dedication.

Here's a handful of relevant links I dug up:

http://xml.coverpages.org/xer.html
http://dsv.su.se/jpalme/abook/comparison.pdf
http://www-sop.inria.fr/rodeo/personnel/hoschka/asn1.html
http://www.dict.org/bin/Dict?Form=Dict2&Database=*&Query=Abstract+Syntax+Notation+1
http://www.oss.com/asn1/overview.html

It also looks like the SGML folks have already been here, and developed an
ASN.1 encoding of SGML documents. Or vice-versa? Might be worth looking
into.

My point is that what you're proposing is in fact useful, and has already
been researched and implemented for at least a decade. I suggest learning as
much as you can about it before duplicating it (not that you won't want to
duplicate it, but you'll do a better job).

-Wayne Steele